High calibre scroll saw is a must-have tool for its ability to make beautiful and unique cuts on the wooden workpiece. So it can be stated that scrolling is like an art form which transforms the way woodwork is done. Not all scroll saws are created equal, and they are available in various shapes and sizes.
The factors for buying a perfect scroll saw will be discussed below along with the list of top scroll saws in the market.
- Blade type
They are two types of blades – pin-end and flat blades. The pin-end blades are easy to change but the possibility for breakage is high. On the other hand, the flat blades are not easy to change but can work well in tight spaces.
The speed of the scroll saw is calculated by its strokes per minute called SPM. Basic saws have around 400-800 SPM and this range can go up to 1,200-1,800 SPM. It is necessary to pay attention to the speed with respect to the type of material the project involves so that the material is not damaged.
- Throat size
The throat size is the distance between the back of the blade and the back of scroll saw. This helps to determine the thickness of material that can be worked with it.
- Table tilt
To cut at specific angles, scroll saws have table or blade tilt to do the job. The majority of the models have either left or right tilt, but few models are there which can tilt in both directions.
- Blade tensioning
The tensioning of the scroll saw is quite important because it determines how well the saw cuts through the material. The tension of the blade is to be changed for every cut to get precision and thus the location of the tensioning knob or lever is mandatory.
Best models in the market
|● The vibration and noise is low
● 3-year warranty
● The arm can lift for aiding in inside cuts
● Table tilt is both directions of 45 degree
● The blade is not centre positioned
- WEN 3921 Scroll Saw
|● Not too expensive
● 2-year warranty
● Table tilt is 45 degrees to the left
● Has a variable speed of 400 to 1,600 SPM
|● The present extra features in the device like work light and blower are not that much useful
● Pinless blades provide less efficiency
|● 5-year warranty
● Table tilts in both directions for 45 degrees
● It has a good variable speed of 400 to 1,750 SPM
|● Frequent lubrication is required
● Price is high
- Shop Fox W1713 Scroll Saw
● Comes with a dust blower and dust port
|● Pinless blades are useless
● No tilt function
● At high speeds, it vibrates and bounces
- ShopSeries RK7315 Scroll Saw
|● It has a cut depth of 2.5”
● It has a powerful motor and variable speed
|● The blade easily gets out of its position
● Tends to snap if not reset